Chemical industries are high-risk areas with highly combustible particles in the air that are flammable and prone to causing accidents. Such speculative sites require enhanced security and surveillance to prevent accidents and help workers take precautionary measures to stay safe.
Conventional CCTV camera models don’t have the robustness and resilience to sustain inexplosive areas. Explosion-proof cameras are now largely used in chemical industries to ensure enhanced security.
This article will help you understand how explosion-proof cameras can protect chemical industries from possible incidents and ensure overall security. Before we begin, let’s first look at what we know about explosion-proof cameras.
Built exclusively for potentially explosive and hazardous environments, explosion-proof CCTV cameras can function in high-impact environments and help ensure safety measures.
These cameras are shielded with a flame-proof surface that prevents combustible substances from igniting near the camera. An explosion-proof camera for chemical industries can limit any explosion within the physical device as well and prevent sparks from going outside and causing inflammation.
Designed with 304 or 316 stainless steel with enhanced corrosion resistance capabilities, explosion-proof cameras are built to withstand harsh conditions and provide complete security in chemical industries. These cameras can help prevent expensive machines from getting sabotaged or stolen and can be easily installed on off-shore and on-shore rigs.
Now that we have a brief understanding of what explosion-proof CCTV cameras are, let’s look at their features to know how they ensure advanced security in chemical industries.
If you are looking for an explosion-proof camera for chemical industries, these features are important to provide footage in explosive areas and monitor high-risk zones.
Explosion-proof cameras are made of durable materials such as aluminium, fibre-glass polyester or stainless steel that do not catch fire easily and provide clear footage amidst an incident or unwanted situation.
The inside of the camera is also built to purge flammable gases and limit them from getting inside the camera.
The camera’s rugged design is also supported by brackets that are welded together and can hold up to five times the camera’s weight. This keeps the camera in one position and keeps it from tumbling down in case of any accidents or hazards. Therefore, the camera can record in high-quality without any disturbance.
Most explosion-proof cameras are water-resistant and shock-proof and have bulletproofing in addition to other robust features.
Explosion-proof cameras are made with tempered glass proofing so that the camera glass does not get scratched or damaged from explosions or flames in surrounding areas. These glasses have a light transparency of above 96%, so you can get crystal-clear images and recordings at all times.
The special feature of these glasses is that they can take the pressure up to10,000 psi (pounds per square inch), which is high for any explosive environment. Meaning, the CCTV camera won’t succumb to breakage and stay functional.
Chemical industries have high-temperature areas that can cause moisture build-up around the lens. This is not an issue with explosion-proof CCTV cameras, as these are manufactured with built-in blowers or dryers that operate as and when required to dissipate moisture. This ensures that the camera’s picture quality is always razor-sharp.
These cameras are robustly built with well-structured explosion-proof design principles to make the final product hardy and ensure that it serves its purpose. A cylindrical flame-proof joint secures the inside of the stainless steel casing. This guides ignitable particles into a conduit.
Asa result, if there is an explosion or spark inside the camera, the flames will never come in contact with the outside environment, keeping the surrounding areas safe and protected.
Now that we have explored the different features of an explosion-proof camera, let’s look at the benefits of this device and how it amplifies the security functions:
Following are the benefits provided by explosion-proof cameras to help you monitor hazardous incidents and take preventive measures:
● With a surveillance manager monitoring live streams, explosion-proof cameras can help to keep employees safe while they work. The surveillance manager can ring the alarm if he notices anything unusual and ask the employees beforehand to vacate the workplace.
● Explosion-proof surveillance cameras can help managers look into the manufacturing process. There is no need for 24/7 human assistance, and the surveillance camera can capture the entire operation for the manager to scrutinize later. These cameras can contain 10 to 15 days of information, but the data needs to be transferred before it gets overwritten.
● Ex-proof CCTV cameras by SharpEagles are robust and can be installed on the driller console, rig-flow, monkey board, and sub-base rigs.
● Chemical industries have expensive machinery and pieces of equipment that cost millions. While ensuring physical safety for workers is crucial, ex-proof cameras also protect costly items from being sabotaged or stolen.
● Explosion-proof cameras usually have night vision in them, which helps managers monitor activity during nighttime and ensure the perimeters are safe if there are workers who reside nearby the industry.
● It has majority of the features of a traditional camera and additional features to function effectively in hazardous environments, which means these cameras incorporate the best of both worlds.
It is the owner’s responsibility in a chemical industry or any industry to ensure complete safety for the workers. Workers who work in the chemical industry are exposed to harmful chemicals and combustion, which make the work environment prone to unprecedented dangers. It is extremely important to keep a safe working environment in every possible manner!
Explosion-proof CCTV cameras also come with noise-reduction technology and can capture high-definition images in low light, which makes them a complete security devise for Zones 01, Zone 02, and Zone 0.
If you are still wondering whether to go for a traditional CCTV camera model or an explosion-proof camera, think no more! In that case, SharpEagle has the best CCTV cameras made with state-of-the-art technology and brilliant specifications to help you maintain a safe workplace under surveillance.